Morelia, Mich., Mexico, Jun. 19 (Notimex).- The seven mummies found in the Municipal Pantheon of Morelia last year will be exposed to the public as a tourist attraction, said the head of the Department of Municipal Pantheons, Carlos Mena Diaz.
He pointed out that they correspond to six adults and one child, who date from the last century and were located in niches during the process of eviction of the pantheon of those tombs that do not have mourners.
Currently, he said, they remain in a chemical process to curb their deterioration.
He added that they were exposed to the public inside coffins and then sent to the graveyard warehouse area, where they were finally rescued to submit them to the aforementioned chemical process and ensure its conservation.
Mena Diaz added that during the last months were found five other mummified bodies, which will be added to the exhibition in case they are not claimed.
In this regard, he said that in that case the technical-legal procedures to integrate into the inventory of the pantheon will begin.
The head of the Department of Municipal Pantheons mentioned that actions are also carried out with the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH, for its acronym in Spanish), in order to rescue the space of the Municipal Pantheon as a tourist attraction.
He pointed out that inside the cemetery there are multiple tombs that can be considered as urban art, in addition to a roundabout of illustrious men.